Director of Transportation
- Director of Transportation JobID: 174
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Open until filled   JDE 535
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of student transportation, automotive maintenance and repair and facility management
- Comprehensive knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of large scale school district transportation operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of business practices applicable to transportation and garage management
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of transportation staff
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, associates, parents and students and the general public
- Four years of experience in transportation, including two years in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a school district.
- Arizona CDL license and bus driver certificate.
- Comprehensive knowledge of diesel and gasoline engine repair.
- Knowledge of state laws and regulations governing transportation of students.
- Minimum requirement High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree in business or public administration or related field preferred.
- Extensive experience in Transportation including supervisory and administrative responsibilities or equivalent experience.
- Develops and administers transportation programs to meet all the requirements of the daily instructional program and extracurricular activities.
- Prepares bus routes for the district, and updates when needed.
- Perform personnel functions including interviewing, recommending new hires, promotions, terminations and transfers, supervising, directing action and activities and leading the organization for the purpose of maintaining staffing needs and an efficient, productive work force.
- Ensures that appropriate professional development activities are provided for personnel.
- Evaluates personnel for the purpose of ensuring that standards are achieved and performance is maximized.
- Maintains all district-owned vehicles and conducts preventive maintenance on a planned basis.
- Sets up and supervises a system for the receipt and issuance of parts and supplies and the keeping of records and inventories on a computerized inventory.
- Lays out, assigns, supervises and inspects the work of the mechanics in the overhaul and repair of District automotive equipment.
- Develop the budget, approve expenditures and ensure that expenses are within the transportation budget limits as set forth by the superintendent and business manager.
- Assists administration of the transportation budget.
- Prepares transportation payroll documents as required by the Business office.
- Maintains safety standards in conformance with state and insurance regulations and develops a program of preventive safety.
- Acts as a liaison and cooperates with principals in solving discipline problems occurring on school buses.
- Advises on road hazards for decision on school closing during inclement weather.
- Schedules all shop work and assists in repairs of all school buses, school vehicles and diesel equipment.
- Acts as liaison with parents for complaints and special requests.
- Develops recommendations for future equipment and personnel needs based on resident students, distances, and grade levels.
- Conforms with all state laws and regulations regarding school transportation.
- Advise Superintendent on school closing due to hazardous road conditions.
- Cooperate with school principals and others responsible for planning special school trips
- Completes and dispatches insurance reports.
- Investigate accidents involving
- Submits all reports required by state authorities.
- Perform other related work as required by the superintendent.
TITLE: Director of Transportation
SALARY: As Determined by the Governing Board / DOE
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The position is responsible for managing, coordinating, supervising and evaluating all aspects of the student transportation system for Page Unified School District, including any contracted student transportation commitments the school district may enter into. Also responsible for the school district automotive fleet inventory, maintenance, repair, replacement and use assignment. Ensure compliance with Governing Board Policy, federal, state and local regulations regarding student transportation.
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
EVALUATION: Annually by the Superintendent of Schools
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 12 Month / Exempt